Seborrheic Keratoses (Barnacles of Aging) - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Seborrheic keratoses (barnacles of aging) are non-cancerous growths of the outer layer of skin. There may be just one growth, or many which occur in clusters. Barnacles of aging are generally harmless spots that appear during the adult life. It is so called because of its association with aging.The features of barnacles of aging is their waxy look. They look like a dab of warm brown candle wax that has dropped onto the skin.
Barnacles of Aging has varying degrees of pigmentation and are usually brown in color, but can vary in color from light tan to black. They vary in size from a fraction of an inch in diameter to larger than a half-dollar. It may appear on both covered and uncovered parts of the body.Seborrheic Keratoses is not a contagious disease and is not easily spread from one person to other.
Causes of Seborrheic Keratoses (Barnacles of Aging):
The exact cause of seborrheic keratoses is not known. However, almost everybody will eventually develop at least a few of these growths after the age of 50. They are sometimes referred to as "barnacles of old age." These become more common and more numerous with advancing age.
Some of the Main Causes of Barnacles of Aging includes:-
- Person's exposed to lot of Ultra Violet Radiations, develop barnacles of aging very easily.
- Heredity: Another main cause of Seborrheic Keratoses is a family history of barnacles of aging.
- Sometimes seborrheic keratoses may erupt during pregnancy, following estrogen therapy, or in association with other medical problems.
- They are caused by abnormal increase of melanin in the epidermal layers of the skin.
- Aging plays a major role. The binding mortar in the upper layers of the skin becomes thinner. The deeper layers of collagen and elastin that make the skin flexible become less. The skin then gets wrinkled and spots start appearing.
Symptoms of Barnacles of Aging:
Some of the Possible Symptoms of Seborrheic Keratoses are as:-
- Swelling of the eyelid.
- Feeling of discomfort, due to skin infection may also be there.
- The watering in the affected eye may occur in barnacles of aging.
- The occurrence of wrinkles on the skin are common in this case.
- In some chronic conditions - it may lead to blurred vision.
- The skin will get thick and rashy type.
- Tenderness also present in the area of swelling.
- The pain in the eye or eyelid may be due to the barnacles of aging.
Treatment of Seborrheic Keratoses (Barnacles of Aging:)
Some common Treatments of barnacles of aging are :-
- Curettage: The unwanted growth of skin are removed by "curetting," or scraping them from the surface of the skin. To numb the affected area, an injection or spray is first used. No stitches are necessary, and bleeding is very limited.
- Electro surgery: It is another effective method used for the treatment of barnacles of aging. The growth is first numbed, then burned using an electric current, and scraped off.
- Liquid Nitrogen: It is a cold liquefied gas that is sprayed on the skin with a spray gun. The treatment is repeated three times.
Home Remedies for Barnacles of Aging (Seborrheic Keratoses):
Try these Home Remedies for Barnacles of Aging:-
- A healthy low-fat, high fibre diet containing plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables are beneficial for the treatment of Barnacles of Aging.
- Lemon and Water - Take 1 fresh lemon and squeeze it into one cup of water and also add a pinch of cayenne. This cup of water should be taken at least 3 times a day. It will also help you to melt away the cellulite.
- Always massage a cellulite cream thoroughly with your fingertips. It makes them double effective. Remember, the massaging action is more important than the cellulite cream.