Pruritus Ani - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Other Name: Itchy Butt
Pruritus Ani is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch. The skin of the perirectal area is exposed to irritating digestive products in the stool,this may lead to an itchy rash, especially when stools are frequent. Because of scratching and rubbing, the skin around the rectum may become inflamed, leathery, and red or white in color . Pruritus ani is a symptom, it is not a condition in itself.
The urge to scratch may occur at any time. However, it tends to be more common after you have been to the toilet to pass faeces or generally in night. The itch may be made worse by heat, wool, moisture, leaking, soiling, stress, and anxiety.At its most intense, anal itching causes intolerable discomfort that often is described as burning and soreness. It is common in both adults and children.
symptoms includes: Anal erythema ,Rectal itching .
- Secondary Symptoms includes: Secondary infections with are possible after prolonged scratching
and includes Anal fissures ,Lichenification and
- It produces irresistible urge to scratch more critical at night or after bowel movements.
- Skin may get thickened around the anus.
- The disease may be accompanied by sudden onset of sustained fever
- Severe headache may also be possible.
- Soreness and Burning also there as a result of the disease.
- Nausea and severe loss of appetite.
- It is sometimes accompanied by hoarse cough and constipation or diarrhoea.
The possible causes of pruritus ani are as:-
- Inflamed anal skin is the main cause of the disease.
- Thrush and fungal infections: These germs like it best in moist, warm, airless areas, such as around the anus.
- Skin conditions: It may also affect the skin around the anus to cause itch.
- Capsaicin, which is a natural alkaloid extracted from red chili peppers may also be a causes of the disease.
- Alcohol, coffee, tea and spicy foods make pruritus ani worse.
- Rarely a tumour of the anus or rectum is a cause of itch around the anus.
- Avoid excessive moisture around the anus.
- Washing the anus in a bidet or a bucket of lukewarm water is also make the anus clean and improve the condition.
- Avoid scented soaps, bubble bath, perfume,rough toilet paper etc near the anus.
- Moistened tissues or soft toilet paper are next best.
- Use of aqueous cream, mineral oil or other soap-free cleanser may also help you to get rid of the disease.
- Try to Avoid constipation.
- Avoid excessively loose or otherwise irritating motions.
- Don't scratch: Scratching and rubbing make the condition worse.