Pruritis - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Pruritus is an uncomfortable skin sensation that induces the desire to scratch (itch) or rub . It generaly shares neural receptors and pathways with pain but is characterized by its own precipitants, potentiators, and range of chronic severity. It is the medical term for itching . It may be because of a sudden effect and may be short lived known as acute or long lasting generaly known as achronic. Pruritis ani or anal itching is one of the most common complaints related to anal pathology.
Itching occur generally in and just around the anus. Itching tends to be worse at night or after a bowel movement. The itch may be so intense that you can't avoid scratching. The common problemwhich most of the people experience at one point or another is anal itching.
Pruritis shows several symptoms. Some of these are :
- Itch, a raw feeling and occasional bleeding generally caused by scratching are the common symptoms.
- Intense itching, increased sensitivity and irritation in the genital area. The skin may get dry.
- Intensity of itching increases as the area exposed to moisture,pressure or sitting.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Shortness of breath.
- Sexual Problems : Discomfort during sexual intercourse,sometimes thin and white vaginal discharge.
- Swelling in your face or throat.
- changes: In living circumstances or in a diet may make the condition worse.
- Stress may also leads to pruritis.
Some of the common causes includes:-
- Skin conditions: The skin conditions, such as bullous pemphigoid,psoriasis or abnormally dry skin sometimes called xerosis
- Skin iritation: This may result from sunburn, insect bites, chemicals, soaps, poison ivy or other causes.
skin infections, such as scabies which are generally a daily use.
- Diseases: Allergies, diabetes and inflammatory bowel disease may involve the skin around the anus causing pruritus.
- Chickenpox, which is a body wide infections is also leads to pruritis.
- Pruritis may be a result of autoimmune disorderssuch as Sjogren's syndrome and multiple sclerosis.
- Hormone Imbalances, is also a factor causing the disease.
- Most of the cases of anal itching are caused by harmless problems.Rarely it signs a malignant skin.
- Excessive Scratching: It t removes the skin lining around anus and excessive washing makes it worse.
The most effective treatments for pruritis are as:-
- Avoid certain foods or drinks like caffeine containing drinks, citrus fruits etc.
- Prefer cotton panties rather than nylon.
- Avoid stimulating things or condition such as
Hot, humid weather.
- Doctors recommend an Antipruritic drug to reduce itching.These drugs are generally antihistamines or mint -like substances such as menthol or camphor.
- Calamine lotion, a zinc-based anti-pruritic is mostly used one drug.