Cure Prickly Heat Rash - Treatment
This is a very common condition and can affect any one. It is most common during hot days and occurs during the hot summer and rainy season when there is profuse sweating and the body is not exposed to the air. As the sweat is then retained within the skin, the symptoms and appearances depend on where the ducts are blocked. In it, inflammation of the skin near the sweat glands causes a prickly sensation. It is painful, intensely itchy and can spoil your long awaited holiday.
Prickly heat usually starts around the neck. If it is bad, it can spread down onto the chest and back and up around the ears and face. Red pustules of the size of mustard grains appear on the body, especially on the chest, back and the abdomen. There is intense itching and if the affected skin area is scratched, it gives temporary relief sensation, though there are a lot of chances of the affected area getting septic.
Symptoms of Prickly Heat
- Tiny red spots may occur on the areas more prone to sweat, such as the armpits, back, under the breasts, chest, groin, crooks of elbows and knees, and the waist.
- Itching sensation on the areas where sweat collects.
- Irritating itch and prickling sensation.
- Small Blisters may occur.
- Redness and mild swelling of the affected area.
Some Tips for the Treatment and Prevention of Prickly Heat Rash
- You should try to keep your skin cool and dry.
- You should avoid wearing heavy clothes and should wear light, loose-fitting soft clothes. Avoid clothing that traps heat and moisture. Natural fabrics such as cotton are best.
- Use of Corticosteroid lotions is an effective treatment for curing Prickly Heat.
- Cold water baths twice every day will also help in getting rid of prickly heat rash.
- Experimental studies have shown that application of topical antiseptics like hexachlorophene almost completely prevents prickly heat rashes.
- You can also pat the prickly heat rash several times a day with a bicarbonate of soda solution (1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda to 1 cup water) on absorbent cotton to treat these rashes.
Some Common Natural Home Remedies to Cure Prickly Heat Rash
- Dissolve Fuller's earth (Multani Mitti) in water to make a thin paste. It should be smeared over the affected parts. Now let it remain on the face for 10-20 minutes till the paste dries. When the paste has dried, wash it with cold water.
- Apply green henna, ground in water, on the affected skin.
- Grind leaves of neem in water and apply on the infected area.
- One more proven remedy for the treatment of prickly heat is to take a small piece of sandalwood and rub it on a stone with rose water. Then mix a pinch of powdered alum in it and then apply the paste to the affected skin twice or thrice a week, depending upon the condition of prickly heat.
- The paste made from powdered bark of peepal tree and fine brick powder is applied on the prickly heat affected parts.
- Dissolve a tablespoon of soda bicarbonate in half a cup of water and mix in one tablespoon of rose water. Apply it to the affected skin with cotton wool for fast results.
- A paste made of the seeds of jambul when applied over the affected area gives relief in prickly heat.