Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Pityriasis lichenoides is an inflammatory disease, which is characterized by acute and/or chronic morphological phases and epidermal shedding of flaky scales. The acute form of the disease is called acute parapsoriasis. The chronic form of the disease is called pityriasis lichenoides chronica.The disease can run over weeks, months, or even years, with lesions continually appearing and disappearing.It is also accompanied by recurrent erythematous, round papules, hemorrhage, blisters and varioliform vesiculopustules.
It mostly affects adolescents and young adults. It is slightly more common in males. It is rare in infants and in old age.
Causes of Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica:
The possible causes of pityriasis lichenoides chronica are :-
- Hypersensitivity reaction to infectious agents is the main cause of this disease. It is probably a hypersensitivity reaction to a microorganism.
- Freeze-dried live attenuated measles vaccine administered by injection has been associated with Mucha-Habermann disease.
- Staphylococcus aureus and group A beta hemolytic streptococci are also the main cause of this disease.
- Toxoplasma gondii, and HIV, a number of other infectious agents have been implicated.
- Parvovirus B19 and adenovirus can also trigger Mucha-Habermann disease.
- Toxoplasma infections are asymptomatic, and toxoplasmosis may also be a cause.
- It is considered as a non-contagious disease that is not spread by touch.
Symptoms of Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica:
The possible symptoms of Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica are :-
- Rash will be present and accompanied with fever and headache, but these are very mild.
- A number of dark brown patches can be seen over the affected skin.
- The bumps with the clear fluid inside them may be occur in chronic condition.
- The spots can range in diameter from three to eighteen millimeters.
- Bumps are not very irritating to the individual, but if it does becoming itching.
Treatments of Pityriasis Lichenoides Chronica:
The effective treatments for pityriasis lichenoides chronica are :-
- Hydroxyurea: This is very helpful in the treatment of pityriasis lichenoides chronica but hydroxyurea causes short term reversible marrow suppression it should be monitored closely.
- Photo therapy: It is very effective in the treatment of pityriasis lichenoides chronica. It includes the artificial ultraviolet radiation treatment with UVB or PUVA.
- Tar: Pine tar, Coal tar are also useful. They are good for the stable chronic plaque type.
- Sulphur and salicylate: A sulphur salicylate emulsion is a very common prescribed item to thick scalp psoriasis for its keratolytic effect.
- Topical steroid: Topical steroids are mainly used to reduce irritation.
- Methotrexate: It is given as once weekly to once biweekly doses.
- Oral erythromycin or tetracycline (antibiotics) may help in the eradication of pain.
- Topical Emollient: It is found very useful to decrease fissure, cracking and scaling.