Pityriasis Alba - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Pityriasis alba is a benign disorder of the skin, which is characterized by round patches of de pigmentation on the face, neck and upper part of the chest. The patches may be occur on the cheeks.The patches vary in size, usually being a few centimeters in diameter.
The disease occurs mainly in children and teenagers. Pityriasis alba is usually asymptomatic. In children, the face is often affected. Sun tanning can exacerbate lesions.
Causes of Pityriasis Alba:
The causes of pityriasis alba are:-
- Hypo pigmentation may result in pityriasis alba.
- The family history of pityriasis alba is the main cause.
- Rashes on the dry skin can lead to this disease.
- Pityriasis alba is more common in the winter months when the skin is drier, the rash may be flakier.
- Atopic eczema may also lead to the condition of pityriasis alba.
- The asthma and allergies are the major factors, in the development of pityriasis alba.
- The disturbances, including irritation and dry skin, causes the cells that normally produce color fails to do the right function . This results in areas of lighter discoloration.
Symptoms of Pityriasis Alba:
The possible symptoms of pityriasis alba are :-
- The oval patches may be found on face.
- The white patches, may be seen that surrounding the affected area of skin.
- They are mostly located on the face, outer upper arms, neck and upper trunk.
- The skin lesions may get redden quickly in the sun.
- The bumps that formed are mainly flat or slightly elevated.
- The slight scaling with very small fine scales may be present.
Treatments of Pityriasis Alba:
The most effective treatments for pityriasis alba includes:-
- Certain lotions and moisturizers cream may help to improve the dry appearance.
- The hydrocortisone cream may also help to make the patches go away more quickly
- The 0.5% hydrocortisone and 1% crude coal tar in a Zetone cream, are very useful in the treatment of pityriasis alba.
- The use of Pragmatar ointment, Lac-Hydrin, 2% Zetar in Cordran cream gives the effective results.
- The topical steroid cream can be applied , in case the patches are red or itchy.