Paget's Disease - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Paget's disease is a metabolic bone disease, occurring in the middle aged and elderly peoples. It is a chronic condition in which both the breakdown and formation of bone tissue are increased, which result in deformity.It is most frequently occur in the pelvic and leg bones, skull, and lower spine. It may lead to bone pain, deformities, and fractures.The other name of Paget's disease is osteitis deformans.
In paget's disease, there is abnormality occurs in the bone cells. The most common symptom is pain. Paget's disease is rarely diagnosed in people under 40. Men and women are affected equally. Paget's disease, in many patients is asymptomatic and diagnosed by routine x-rays .
Causes of paget's disease:
Paget's disease occurs when abnormally large pagetoid osteoclasts resorb areas of bone at a faster rate than usual.The other causes are :
- Viral infection can lead to disease of bone i.e. paget's disease
- Heredity problem may be another possible cause of paget's disease.
- The disease is generally characterized by excessive breakdown of bone tissue, followed by abnormal bone formation. The new bone is structurally enlarged, but weakened and filled with new blood vessels.
- Paget's may be caused by a 'slow virus' infection of bone cells. It is called 'slow' because the virus may settle in the bone cells early in life and only cause the disease many years later.
Symptoms of paget's disease:
Some common symptoms of paget's disease are :-
- An eczema like rash may be the first symptom of this disease. The skin of the nipple and areola may become red and inflamed.
- Bone pain: It is the most common symptom. Bone pain can occur in any bone affected by Paget's disease.
- bones break more easily if the person is affected by Paget's disease
- Increased head size, bowing of limb, or curvature of spine may occur in advanced cases.
- During paget's disease, you may feel an acute pain to your mainly hip bone.
- Arthritis can occur in chronic condition.
- You may also feel tired.
- Headaches and hearing loss:you may have the headaches and in chronic condition may lead to hearing loss.
- Pressure on nerves : Paget's disease may also put the pressure on the nerves
Treatment of paget's disease:
Some important treatments for paget's disease includes:
- Two bisphosphonates: etidronate and pamidronate are used for the treatment of Paget's disease. Etidronate and pamidronate can cause nausea and diarrhea and can exacerbate bone pain in some people who have extensive Paget's disease.
- Fractures are most common in the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone), and are usually treated with an intramedullary rod, a rod that is inserted within the marrow cavity in the center of the bone.
- Sometimes surgery is needed if there is a significant bone deformity or if there is a break in the bone.
- Analgesics can also be used for the fast recovery from paget's disease.
- The nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and ibuprofen are usually effective for getting relief from pain.
- Novartis - also called Aclasta is also used in the treatment of Paget's disease.