Lyme - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Lyme disease is a multi system disorder caused by the tick-borne spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi. It is transmitted by the bite of certain, very small, infected ticks. Lyme disease can cause abnormalities in the skin, joints, heart and nervous system.It begins with an erythematous skin lesion, erythema migrans, which is often associated with a self-limited virus-like illness.
It is a systemic, tick borne disease with protean manifestations, including dermatologic, rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac abnormalities. It is caused by a spirochete (Borrelia burgdorferi) that is transmitted by ticks, usually characterized initially by a rash.These ticks acquire the bacteria from mice and then infect humans by biting them and passing the bacteria into a person's bloodstream.
Causes of Lyme :
The main causes of lyme are :-
- Lyme is caused by the bacterium, Borrelia burgdorferi. These bacteria are transmitted to humans by the bite of infected deer ticks.
- The weather condition is also the cause of lyme. The lyme infections mostly occur in the late spring, summer, and early fall.
- Risk factors for Lyme disease include walking in high grasses, other activities that increase tick exposure, and having a pet that may carry ticks home.
Symptoms of Lyme :
The possible symptoms of lyme are:-
- The early symptoms include a red-ringed bull's-eye rash, which appears either as a solid red expanding rash or blotch.
- The enlargement or swelling of lymph glands near the tick bite can be seen.
- The fibrillation of the heart may also an early symptom of lyme.
- In a chronic condition, arthritis can be seen.
- The stiffness especially in the joints and neck may be form.
- The fever of 100 to 102 degrees can be seen.
- During lyme, the occurance of tiredness is common.
- A severe headache, may occur.
Treatments of Lyme:
The effective treatments for lyme are :-
- The use of antibiotics can speed the healing of the rash.
- Erythromycin, is a beneficial remedy for lyme.
- oral doxycycline i.e. Vibramycin, amoxicillin i.e. Amoxil or cephalosporin antibiotics are the best remedy for the fast recovery from lyme disease.
- The use of benzylpenicillin ( Crystapen) , cefotaxime (Claforan) and ceftriaxone (Rocephin) are very effective in the treatment of lyme.
- After antibiotic therapy, some people still experience muscle aches, persistent fatigue, and trouble with memory and concentration. Research is continuing on how best to treat these persistent symptoms.
Home remedies for lyme:
The important home remedies for lyme are:-
- Heat up aching joints:The muscle pain that you feel may respond to hot, moist heat. Apply a towel wrung out in hot water and keep it on the painful area until you feel relief.
- Get thee to a steam room:The hot, moist heat of a steam room is good when your body aches all over.
- Watch what you eat:When you have Lyme disease, good nutrition is especially important to help your body's healing process. It is required to eat a varied low-fat diet with plenty of fruits, beans, grains and vegetables."
- Join a support group:The most important thing that a woman can do when she has Lyme disease is hook up with a support group. This helps people regain a sense of control over their lives.