Guttate Psoriasis - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Guttate Psoriasis is an inherited skin condition characterized by small round lesions and often occurring after a streptococcal infection. It is the second most common form of psoriasis, which is characterized by small, pink or red drops on the skin. These small drops are usually found on the chest, back, arms, or legs. Guttate Psoriasis are due to bacterial infection such as strep throat, especially in younger patients. Some cases go away without treatment in a few weeks, while many cases are more persistent and require treatment.
Guttate Psoriasis can occur to any person and at any age, but is more common in people of 20 years of age, and it affects both men and women equally, but is more common in fair skinned people. In guttate psoriasis, there may be profoundly dark spots.
Causes of Guttate Psoriasis:
Some important causes of guttate psoriasis are as:-
- Immune System: Any abnormality in the immune system, may lead to the condition of guttate psoriasis.
- Certain medicines, including lithium salt and beta blockers have been reported to trigger or aggravate the disease.
- Streptococcal Infection: In 80% of patients with guttate psoriasis, the main cause of it is a streptococcal infection.
- Heredity: Guttate psoriasis may be inherited from your parents. Those with a family history of psoriasis are at greater risk of developing this disease.
- Weather: Guttate psoriasis is more common in cold and dry weather.
- Environmental factors are thought to trigger psoriasis in people who have a genetic tendency toward the disease.
- Genetic Predisposition: Genetic predisposition play an important role in the development of an acute guttate psoriasis. In patients with guttate psoriasis, usually an excess amount of HLA-BW17 is found and this is only responsible in the formation of guttate psoriasis.
- Injury: Sometimes even mild injuries to the skin such as abrasions can trigger a psoriasis flare.
- Guttate psoriasis is more frequent and severe in people who are overweight because this disease mainly occurs on skin folds and overweight persons have lot of skin folds.
Symptoms of Guttate Psoriasis:
The possible Symptoms of Guttate Psoriasis are as:-
- Itching is the early symptom of guttate psoriasis.
- Nail changes, such as pits and ridges, which are characteristic of chronic psoriasis, may be absent.
- People may also experience arthritis in some cases of guttate psoriasis.
- Skin lesion are usually red, which shows discrete teardrop - shaped patches of skin.
- The affected skin area gets dry or raw type.
- The joint pains may occur in chronic cases of guttate psoriasis.
- The drop like lesions may occur in guttate psoriasis patients.
- The dark patches usually starts on the trunk, arms, or legs and sometimes spreads to the face, ears, or scalp.
Treatments for Guttate Psoriasis:
Treatment for guttate psoriasis is mainly focused on control of the symptoms and preventing any secondary infections. It varies with the extent and severity of the disorder.
Some of the Effective Treatments for Guttate Psoriasis are as:-
- Antibiotics: The streptococcal infection can be removed by using antibiotics.
- Photo therapy: It helps in the removal of unwanted growth of skin.
- Retinoids: Retinoids are very helpful in treating skin infections like guttate psoriasis.
- Topical Agents: Topical agents including mild topical steroids, coal tar and calcipotriol are very beneficial to get relief from joints pain.
- Topical vitamin D3 derivatives or topical retinoids are treatments that are applied to the skin.
- PUVA Treatment: Psoralen and Ultraviolet light treatment (PUVA) with UVB can also ease an outbreak of the skin disease.
- Immunosuppressive Medications: Oral or injected immunosuppressive medications, such as corticosteroids or methotrexate may be used in curing guttate psoriasis fast.
- Vitamin D: Medicines rich in Vitamin D are very good in treating guttate psoriasis as it helps the skin to maintain its normal PH level.