Dermatitis Herpetiformis - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is an intensely itchy skin eruption. It usually shows up in young adults, and is more common in men and people originally from some areas of northern Europe. May be associated with an occult malignancy in the elderly patient .It is a skin disorder often associated with celiac disease. It is a chronic, extremely itchy rash consisting of papules and vesicles. Dermatitis herpetiformis is associated with sensitivity of the intestine to gluten in the diet.
Dermatitis Herpetiformis, is an uncommon skin disease, is another manifestation of gluten or wheat allergy. It is characterized by urticarial plaques and blisters on the elbows, buttocks, and knees, although other sites may also be involved.
Dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) is another form of celiac disease. Anyone who has DH is a celiac. In this form of the disease, lesions that look like a herpes sore appear on the skin, usually in very symmetrical ways: on both hands, both arms, head, elbows, knees, buttocks, etc. They are often extremely itchy.
Rare, chronic, papulo-vesicular disease usually characterized by an intensely pruritic eruption consisting of various combinations of symmetrical, erythematous,vesicular, papular or bullous lesions.
The possible symptoms for dermatitis herpetiformis are as:-
- Skin rash - elbows, knees, and buttocks,Itching skin rash
- The eruption is very itchy and may keep sufferers awake at night.
- Blistering skin rash:blisters are usually symmetrical ie. on both elbows, knees, etc
- Abdominal pain : it causes an unbelievable pain.
- Excessive gas and constipation
- Fuzzy-mindedness after gluten ingestion
- Burning sensations in the throat ,querulousness, irritability
- Inability to concentrate
- Pale, malodorous, bulky stools
- It can cause iron deficiency,weakness,weight loss ,bone pain,white flecks on the fingernails.
The main causes are as:-
- The exact cause of Dermatitis Herpetiformis is unknown.Person having sensitivity to gluten type products is more prone to the disease. once detected it helps to narrow down those types of treatments available.
- It's main cause is proteins called glutens found in foods containing wheat, barley, or rye.
- Dermatitis Herpetiformis can be a reaction to gluten, a protein found in cereals and other products. The rash occurs as a reactiion of gultenfrom your food with Immunoglobulin A, and the compound formed circulate in your blood stream. This eventually clogs up the small blood vessels in your skin, and releases chemicals called complements, thus creating the rash. This causes a small bumps and blisters to appear
- In general the immune system has antibodies to attack foreign invaders in the body, such as infections. But in the bodies of Dermatitis herpetiformis patients the glutens trigger the immune system to attack the patient's own skin.
- Dermatitis herpetiformis is idiopathic, but several immunologic abnormalities have been detected. The presence in lesions of IgA and complement components supports an immunoregulatory disturbance. Iodide and other halides may cause a flare.
The effective treatments for dermatitis herpetiformis are as:-
- A diet free of gluten products often improves dermatitis Herpetiformis, but it is a tough diet to follow.
- Strict adherence to a lifelong gluten-free diet (GFD) can eliminate symptoms of DH and the intestinal abnormalities, as well as reduce or eliminate the need for medication in most people.
- Doctor recommend medicines such as dapsone and sulfapyridine to treat the rashes.
- The blisters and rash will go away without treatment.Some ointments and creams are given to help with the itching of the rash
- Treatment could be throughout an individual's life.