Hairs Damage - Causes and Some Tips to Prevent Further Hair Damage
A healthy hair has a smooth, tightly closed cuticle layer that protects the inner cortex from drying out. The cuticle layer of the hair, helps in maintaining the moisture balance. apart from this, it gives hair its elasticity, strength and shine.
The hair damage can result in dullness and decreased shine to bubbled and brittle cuticles to complete removal of the cuticle layer. Damaged hair is dry, porous, weak and hard to manage.
Causes of Hair Damage:
There are three main causes of the hair damage. These includes:-
- Mechanical Damage: The mechanical damages to the hairs, are mostly caused by excessive brushing, combing and improper cutting and styling. The hair gets damage, by brushing and combing the hairs, especially when it is wet and if there is some degree of tangling. It can also be caused by chemical disruption of the hair structure which can leave hair dry and brittle. Perms break the sulphur bonds in hair and re-form them in a new shape. This process can disrupt the cuticle and dry out the hair. The haie damage can be caused by the overuse of heat styling appliances that dry out hair and cause flyaways. Heat appliances such as blow-dryers or curling irons can over dry the hair.
- Environmental Damage: The size and shape of the hairs can be altered by the environmental factors. Thus, they can be caused by sun, wind and cold drying out. The harmful ultraviolet rays that come directly from sun, can break down the keratin and melanin in the cuticle and cortex of the hair. This weakens, lightens and dries out hair over time. The cold weather dries up your hairs, because of less humidity in the air.
- Aging: The keratin and melanin gets less with the advancing age. These are the most important pigments for keeping the hairs in the well healthy condition. Thus, it is caused by the the natural wear and tear hair experiences as it ages.
Tips for Prevent Hair Damage
The following tips are very useful in preventing hair damage:-
- Try to avoid too much coloring or perming your hair, because they can damage your hairs.
- Before using a curling iron on your hair, be sure it is 100% dry.
- Use a low or no ammonia hair color.
- Try to brush or comb your hair as infrequently and as gently as possible.
- Try to avoid the direct sun rays to your hairs.
- Medications that can cause hair loss include Vitamin A, certain antidepressants, testosterone products, beta blockers, certain cholesterol-lowering agents, and chemotherapy.
- Eat protein rich foods i.e. chicken, fish, nuts - Eat foods rich in essential fatty acids.
- When drying your hair, never tousle, twist, or wring it dry with a towel or your hands.
- Try to avoid drinking too much alcohol and avoid using it on your hairs.
- After swimming, apply a quality clarifying shampoo whose main ingredient is E.D.T.A. This will neutralize the chlorine, preventing swimmer's green color. Chlorine is can cause severe dryness in hair, use conditioner.